Apply for these jobs with Demand Progress:
Demand Progress is an online activist group of 2 million members dedicated to protecting a free and open internet, breaking the power of big Wall Street banks over our economy, stopping the out-of-control national surveillance state, and ending the corrosive influence of big money over politics.
Since being founded in 2010 we’ve used digital technology to organize ordinary people to fight back against powerful interests – and win.
We’ve helped lead the fight for major progressive victories like killing SOPA and PIPA, beating back attempts by Republicans and corporate Democrats to attack Wall Street reform, and driving in millions of public comments to successfully push the FCC to adopt net neutrality. Now, these victories are at risk. Even bigger threats to our core rights and freedoms are on the horizon.
About the Position
Demand Progress is looking for an experienced digital campaigner and email writer to be a key member of our campaigns team.
Reporting to the Campaign Director, the Digital Campaigner will play an important role shaping and executing Demand Progress’s strategy across issues like internet freedom, civil liberties, and surveillance reform, as well as Wall Street accountability and money-in-politics reform through Demand Progress’s Rootstrikers project (Rootstrikers.org).
- Writing compelling petitions, emails, and fundraising appeals to mobilize our two million activists to take action.
- Managing the email process from beginning to end: drafting and editing email copy, securing approval, producing petition pages and donation pages, helping manage our content calendar, setting up and sending the emails through our CRM, testing, and petition delivery.
- Identifying opportunities for high-impact campaigns that will excite and engage our activists, and drive change.
- Tracking and analyzing performance metrics of our campaigns – including through frequent A/B tests – and using that information to help us make better decisions going forward.
- Cleanly managing data and uploading data to our CRM.
- Actively participating in coalitions (both formal and ad hoc), including recruiting organizations to join campaigns we’re leading; engaging with other leaders, stakeholders, and allies in the advocacy space; and supporting our key allies’ efforts.
- Engaging the press by drafting and sending out press releases, monitoring news coverage of our issues, and speaking on the record when appropriate.
- A minimum of 2 years of experience in email advocacy, digital fundraising, or online organizing. Additional experience is preferred, and salary is commensurate with experience.
- Ability to write in a clear and compelling way, whether engaging emails to motivate our activists to take action or concise, informative updates to other staff members.
- A strategic sense allowing you to identify political opportunities where grassroots activism can deliver progressive victories.
- Strong attention to detail and consistency.
- Facility with basic HTML and Excel for data analysis, or a willingness to learn.
- Strong organization skills and ability to manage many competing priorities without letting key tasks slip through the cracks.
Experience in one or more of the following areas isn’t required, but is a big plus:
- Graphic design
- Electoral campaigns
- Generating press hits in high-profile outlets
- Advanced knowledge of HTML and CSS coding
- Managing a program of small donor fundraising
- SQL or other database experience
This position has a strong preference for individuals based in Washington, DC, or New York City, although working remotely is an option for qualified candidates. Travel to conferences and meetings is periodically required.
Demand Progress will offer a competitive salary for this position, starting at $50,000 to $60,000 per year. Additional experience can merit a commensurate increase to salary. We also offer a generous benefits package, including health insurance, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, and more. The position is full time, classified as exempt, and is at-will.
How to Apply
Please send a resume, thoughtful cover letter outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and stating how you heard about this opportunity, and three samples of your writing for an online audience, to [email protected].
Demand Progress is a project of the New Venture Fund, a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. The New Venture Fund is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. The New Venture Fund’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of races, ethnicities, national origins, ages, sexual orientations, gender identities, beliefs, religions, faiths and ideologies, cultures, socio-economic backgrounds and levels of physical ability.
Don’t think any of the listed positions are a good fit but think you could bring something to the table? We’re always on the lookout for talented people. Drop us a line at [email protected]!